header-logo header-logo

05 October 2022
Issue: 7997 / Categories: Legal News , Profession , Criminal , Legal services
printer mail-detail

Criminal Bar votes as solicitors look to the exit

Barristers will vote this week on whether to suspend their strike following an offer from the Lord Chancellor, Brandon Lewis.

The ballot closes on Sunday, with the results announced the following day.

Lewis, who was sworn in as Lord Chancellor last week, offered an extra £54m. Under the revised offer, the proposed 15% fee increase would apply to the ‘vast majority’ of cases currently in the crown court. Other measures to tackle the backlog would be ‘explored’, such as ‘increasing early resolution of cases, reducing the number of ineffective trials and progressing cases between magistrates’ courts and the crown court’.

Meanwhile, criminal law solicitors are considering withdrawing their labour in protest at the 9% increase offered to them.

Law Society president I Stephanie Boyce (pictured) said: ‘Reaching a compromise with criminal barristers but not providing parity for solicitors is short-sighted given it is solicitors who make up the greater part of the criminal defence sector.

‘The independent review the government commissioned made clear solicitors are in an even worse financial situation than their counterparts. Solicitors are the backbone of the criminal justice system, advising their clients from the first moment at the police station, through to passing of a sentence.

‘They are not taking short-term disruptive action. They are simply leaving the profession permanently, in ever greater numbers because the work is not financially viable. And yet the government is currently proposing only a 9% rate increase for solicitors, 40% less than the 15% being offered to barristers, and far less than the bare minimum the Bellamy report concluded was needed for criminal defence solicitors’ firms to remain economically viable.’

Boyce warned: ‘If solicitors do not get parity on the bare minimum 15% recommended by Lord Bellamy, the MoJ will have made it clear that there is no future in criminal defence practice and we will advise our members not to undertake this work. No responsible organisation could truthfully advise otherwise.’

In his swearing-in speech last week, Lewis said he wanted ‘to explore options for reforming the Probation Service’ and was ‘determined to make public protection the overriding factor in parole decisions’.

Issue: 7997 / Categories: Legal News , Profession , Criminal , Legal services
printer mail-details

MOVERS & SHAKERS

NLJ Career Profile: Stephen Ward, The Barrister Group

NLJ Career Profile: Stephen Ward, The Barrister Group

From mowing lawns to life at the Bar: Stephen Ward reflects on an unconventional career

Clarke Willmott—Ben Loosemore

Clarke Willmott—Ben Loosemore

Commercial property partner joins Clarke Willmott in Southampton

Ellisons—Robert Tiffen

Ellisons—Robert Tiffen

Robert Tiffen joins Ellisons as Partner in growing Norwich office

NEWS
The Law Society RFC Festival of Sport returns next month, bringing together legal and financial services professionals for one of the sector’s largest annual sporting events
Legal aid deserts leave almost one in four without adequate access to justice
The Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) has warned solicitors and law firms that using artificial intelligence does not alter their professional obligations, amid concerns over inaccurate legal material and client confidentiality
From forgotten interest claims to case-management appeals, a string of procedural developments offers useful—and occasionally cautionary—lessons for practitioners

Jonathan Fisher KC highlights that it now accounts for around 40% of criminal offences, with roughly 70% involving technology, and argues that the UK cannot simply prosecute its way out of the problem. Detection, investigation and prosecution all require improvement, while different fraud types demand tailored responses.

back-to-top-scroll